Teen leads deputies on high-speed chase

Teen leads deputies on high-speed chase


A Neshoba County man faces multiple charges after leading law enforcement on a high-speed chase in the Pearl River community.

The man, Azarie Cole Willis, 18, 134 Dixon Road, was arrested and charged with aggravated assault of a police officer, resisting arrest, and felony fleeing, according to Neshoba County Sheriff Eric Clark.

Willis was arrested on March 9 after deputies encountered him at about 2:15 p.m. at a traffic checkpoint near the intersection of Oswald Road and Highway 488. 

Willis was driving a black Hyundai Elantra, according to Clark.

Deputies observed Willis park in the driveway of a residence near the checkpoint. No one appeared to be at the house and some dogs in the yard appeared to be hostile to Willis’ presence, Clark said. 

A deputy decided to approach Willis and as he approached, Willis jumped into his vehicle and while turning his vehicle around ran over the deputy's foot, Clark said.

Willis then led deputies on a chase down Oswald Road and across Highway 16 before turning on Blackjack Road near the Geyser Falls waterpark. 

Clark said Willis “meandered” down Balckjack Road at speeds between 60 and 70 miles an hour until reaching Dixon Road. At Dixon Road, he stopped at a house believed to be his residence and ran inside. Deputies reportedly caught Willis trying to exit the back door where he was arrested.

“The deputies handled themselves very well,” Clark said. “He led them on a chase through populated areas for between five and eight miles.”

Willis was taken into custody by the Choctaw Police Department that day and was extradited to the custody of the Neshoba County Sheriff’s Office on March 13.

Clark said interviews with Willis reveal he ran because he believed there was a warrant out for his arrest.

According to Clark he is not aware of any charges against Willis by CPD and said the deputy who had his foot run over did not suffer injuries that required medical attention.

Willis is out of jail on a $10,600 bond, according to Neshoba County Detention Center records.

Powered by Creative Circle Media Solutions