Three people have been shot in Philadelphia and two remained hospitalized Tuesday in two separate incidents since the middle of last week.

Arrests have been made in connection with the two shootings and more are expected, the authorities said. Investigators have not released a motive.

In a third incident, shots were fired with an AK-47 in northwest Philadelphia and Sheriff's deputies had to be called in as backup to help police disperse a large crowd. Arrests are expected, the authorities said.

Two men remained hospitalized after the shooting on Lewis Avenue and east Myrtle Street not far from The First Baptist Church.

Randy Moncrief, 32, of 723 Fox Ave., was charged with aggravated assault in connection with the shooting near 461 east Myrtle Street Sunday morning, Police Investigator Fredesz Moore said.

Two other suspects were being questioned.

David McCarty and Mason Lewis were both shot while walking to McCarty's home on Myrtle Street at about 2:30 a.m. Sunday, Moore said.

Lewis was struck in his right leg and treated and later released from Neshoba County General Hospital.

McCarty was struck in his left ankle and was taken to a Meridian hospital where he remains hospitalized.

"We don't have a motive yet," said Moore, "but both men have provided information to us."

The shots were fired from the side of a house, he said.

"We're working to determine who was involved," Moore said.

Earlier in the week on Wednesday, June 12, a man was shot twice with a .308-caliber gun on Lewis Avenue just after midnight.

That same night and into Thursday morning, police responded to multiple neighborhoods in the northwestern part of the city to reports of weapons being brandished and fired.

While investigators found that the same caliber bullets had struck a vehicle and a residence, no one was injured.

Mayor James A. Young, who lives on nearby Ivy Street, said the shootings have to stop.

"It's regrettable that our young men are doing these things," he said. "I want everyone to know that I have zero tolerance and those that are doing it, we will find a way to put them behind bars."

Young said the Wednesday incident involving multiple shots occurred near his home.

"We want our community safe," he said. "We've gone a long time without having any instances, at least streetwise, and all of a sudden they've been firing off in different areas of the city. It's got to stop."

Three other people were detained for questioning after the reports of weapons being brandished and multiple shots fired, Police Chief Bill Cox said.

Two 911 calls came in after 10:30 p.m. Wednesday reporting that weapons had been brandished at the Sportsmen's Club at the intersection of Ivy Street and Carver Avenue, Cox said.

Just after 11 p.m., multiple 911 calls came in that shots had been fired from a vehicle on Ivy Street.

A second call came in at 1 a.m. Thursday about shots fired around south Donald Avenue.

Cox said that no one was injured but a single bullet struck a residence.

Investigator Moore later added that another bullet of the same caliber struck a vehicle.

Two Sheriff's deputies were called in to back up the city officers as they searched for those firing the weapons, Cox said.

Ward 4 Alderman Cecil Nichols, who serves as police commissioner, said he responded to the area after hearing the third report of guns being fired.

"After the third reported shot, I arrived on the scene," Nichols said.

"There were a lot of people there and we tried to get them under control and dispersed.

"We told them to leave the premises unless they lived there.

"There were a lot of people that didn't live there," he said. "Thankfully, after that, everything calmed down."

After questioning witnesses, police were able to gather enough information to execute warrants to search two city residences, the police chief said.

Two weapons were recovered from one house, an AK-47 and a .45-caliber handgun.

Cox was unable to provide a motive for why the weapons were brandished or the shots fired.

While no one has been formally charged, Cox said that those involved could face charges from firing a weapon in the city limits to more serious charges, depending on the intent and type of weapon used.

"Arrests are coming," Moore said.

In a third incident, Lorenzo Hickman of 206 Lewis Ave. was shot twice with a .308-caliber gun following an argument at his residence early Wednesday morning.

Marquai Kirkland was charged with aggravated assault in connection with the shooting, Cox said.

Hickman was taken to a Meridian hospital shortly after midnight Wednesday after being shot in the abdomen and shoulder, where he remained hospitalized on Tuesday. Police said if anyone has information to call 601-656-2131.