Autopsy results are expected in the death of a newly-paroled Philadelphia man dropped off at Neshoba General unresponsive with no visible signs of injury last Wednesday afternoon, the authorities said.

James Bryan Buckley, 43, a convicted drug dealer, was dropped off at Neshoba General by a friend having been picked up at prison that morning by his mother, said Neshoba County Sheriff Eric Clark.

Clark said Tuesday that they had no updates and is awaiting an autopsy and toxicology report. He said that the case remains under investigation.

“Everyone involved has been interviewed and will continue to be interviewed as this moves forward,” Clark said. “We want to make sure that the public is well informed and confident in what we are doing on this or any other matter.”

According to Clark, another man who identified himself to investigators as a friend of Buckley’s dropped him off at the entrance of the emergency room where hospital personnel pulled Buckley out of the car and attempted life-saving procedures.

The friend, whom Clark declined to identify, remained on site, but was not allowed into the emergency room due to COVID-19 restrictions. He was released after being questioned.

Clark said Buckley’s mother picked him up from the Central Mississippi Correctional Facility in Brandon Wednesday morning. After returning home, Clark says, Buckley went to visit the friend, who lives on Knight Street in Philadelphia.

The unidentified friend told Clark that Buckley complained that he did not feel well and decided to lie down. He was rushed to the hospital when he was found to be unresponsive.

The Neshoba County Sheriff’s Department received a call from the hospital at 3:30 p.m.

Clark said that Buckley showed no visible signs of a cause of death and that he was examined by Coroner John Stephens. Buckley but will undergo a full autopsy at the State Crime Lab.

Clark encouraged anyone with knowledge of the case to call the Sheriff’s Office or the Philadelphia Police Department.

Grace S. Fisher, Communications director for the Mississippi Department of Corrections, said that according to their records, Buckley had three convictions. He was convicted of selling cocaine, felony DUI, and conspiracy to commit a crime. She said he had served about 13 years of total 21-year sentence.

The first two crimes were committed in Neshoba County on separate dates in April 2006 and the third occurred in Lauderdale County in June 2014. 

Buckley was sentenced in Neshoba County on July 11, 2007, and received 20 years for the drug charge and one year for the felony DUI.