The Bond community, located in north-east Neshoba County, was the family home of Will J. and Mary Evelyn "Mae" Jackson and their twelve children.

Cecil O'Neil Jackson, the oldest son and four other brothers, Jeffie David Jackson, Otha Dill Jackson, Lawson Jay Jackson and Homer Fulton Jackson, all took up arms in World War II, making Mae Jackson a five-star mother. Before the boys left for war, the talented Mrs. Jackson fashioned five stars on a piece of silk and framed her cloth creation, placing it in the front room of their bungalow until all of her sons returned.

They all survived and the Jackson matriarch later added two more stars for her younger boys, Howard and Windell, who served their country during the Korean Conflict.

During the early years of the hostility, Neil Jackson wrote to his beloved mother about a pleasant matter: "When we Southern boys arrived in England we were referred to as Yanks. Well for a while we would yell back at them that we were not Yanks but as it rocked on and became so common to hear all the American soldiers called Yanks, until we Southern boys decided well maybe we were Yanks to them anyway. So we knocked the chip off our shoulders and smiled when we heard the name Yank called. Here is one of the first things they would ask us, "Do you live around New York?" or something referring to New York, and of course you know us Southern boys, most of them like myself, have not seen any part of New York until the day we sailed."

On Feb. 15, 1945, Private First Class Otha Dill "Stonewall" Jackson and his platoon of the Fifth Regimental Combat Team, First Cavalry Division, supported by a medium tank, advanced toward some Japanese soldiers holed up in Fort McKinley on the outskirts of Manila in the Philippine Islands.

After a barrage of artillery fire, Stonewall Jackson and his comrades moved near the old American fort to examine the damage and to root out any of the remaining enemy.

Nearing the facility, Jackson's platoon found about a dozen dead Japanese lying very close together.

During the process of checking the bodies, "all hell broke loose" from the nearby bushes and undergrowth.

Private Jackson later remembered: "We all went for cover, however, some of us were not too smart.

Most of my buddies jumped in a ditch.

I crawled under the back of our tank.

I squatted down trying to get a shot when I felt a sting in my right knee.

I saw blood and I went down. A buddy, Ornellis Corvetti, from Flat Bush, New York, saw that I had been hit and he came out of the ditch, pulled me in and called for a medic.

By the way, while I was under the back of this tank the motor was running and the tank crew had no idea I was there... I received first aid and was lifted up on the tank and carried back to a small building... I was loaded in an ambulance and shuttled back to a field hospital... my litter was placed in line on the floor to await my turn on the school table used as an operating table.

I was operated on and my leg put into a cast.

It was about three days before I knew that I would not lose my leg."

Jackson later returned to the States on a converted C-47 cargo aircraft. During the stopover in Hawaii, the American Red Cross arranged a visit by his brother Jeffie Jackson.

After stays at several hospitals, Stonewall came home after receiving his discharge at Camp Stoneman, California. Later, Jackson summarized his ordeal by saying, "I might not be here except for a sorry shot by a Jap with a sorry gun and a buddy by the name of Ornellis Corvetti."


Civil War Veterans

Heflin, Wiley Pierce - Private; mustered April 13, 1861, at Neshoba Springs, Miss., in the Neshoba Rifles; age twenty-seven; blacksmith; received $22.00 in pay, Aug. 13, 1862. Detailed to work building bridges at Goldsborough, N.C., Dec. 21, 1862 to Jan. 10, 1863; wounded in the left foot/ankle and left hip and captured at Gettysburg, July 3, 1863. Treated at the U.S.A. Twelfth Corps field hospital, July 4, 1863.

Forwarded to the provost marshal, July 12, 1863; imprisoned at Fort Delaware, Del.; paroled at Fort Delaware, July 30, 1863; exchanged at City Point, Va., Aug. 1, 1863; hospitalized with a gunshot wound at the Episcopal Church Hospital at Williamsburg, Va., Aug. 1 to Aug. 28, 1863; transferred to General Hospital #21 at Richmond, Virginia, Sept. 1 to Sept. 3, 1863; furloughed to Miss. for thirty days, Sept. 4, 1863. Returned to the regiment in June 1864; detailed to North Carolina to gather "tax in kind" and ship the tax back to the brigade, Aug. 14, 1864; appeared before an examining board and ordered to serve as ward master, Howard's Grove Hospital, R.I.; rejoined the company at Petersburg Va., Sept. 1864; hospitalized with chronic diarrhea at the Stuart Hospital at Richmond, Oct. 13, 1864 to Nov. 19, 1864; Muster Roll, Nov.-Dec. 1864: "In Brigade Quarter Master's Department"; captured and paroled at Griffin, Georgia, April 1865.

World War II Veterans

Harrison, Frank J. - Private to Private First Class; enlisted on Nov. 10, 1942 at Camp Shelby, Mississippi, in the United States Army; age twenty-two; farmer; served and trained in the American Theatre of Operations at Camp Adair, Oregon, Dec. 1942 to Nov. 1943, at Camp Horn, Ariz., Dec. 1943, and at Camp Carson, Colorado, April 1944 to Sept. 1944; served also in the European Theatre of Operations as an automatic rifleman with Company I of the 423rd Regimental Combat Team, 104th Infantry "Timberwolves" Division, First United States Army, Sept. 1944 to June 1945; participated in the campaigns in Northern France, Rhineland and Central Europe; wounded in action, April 13, 1945; awarded the Combat Infantryman Badge, Distinguished Unit Badge, Good Conduct Medal, European-African Middle Eastern Campaign Medal, Purple Heart and the Bronze Star; discharged at Camp San Luis Obispo, California, convenience of the government; described as five feet seven inches tall, weighing 145 pounds, with brown hair and blue eyes.

Philadelphia-Neshoba County Historical Museum

Steven H. Stubbs, Curator

303 Water Avenue South Philadelphia, Mississippi 39350 (601) 656-1284

10 a.m. - 3 p.m.

Monday thru Friday