Neshoba County homeowners who have had a change in status over the past year, such as marriage or divorce, have until April 1 to file homestead exemptions.

A new homestead needs to be filed by those who have a new home, lost a spouse, turned 65 years in age, became disabled, married or divorced, Tax Assessor and Collector Mike Lewis said.

Homeowners who received the exemption last year and did not have a change in status need not reapply as their exemptions will automatically be renewed, he said.

Loss of homestead exemption would mean higher ad valorem taxes for homeowners.

If you have any questions concerning your homestead exemption contact the Neshoba County Tax Office at 601-656-4541.