The Philadelphia man who attacked a police officer with a broom and box cutter last month was tased multiple times as the officer struggled for minutes to apprehend him until backup arrived, an incident report obtained by the Democrat shows.

The officer struggled with the suspect several times as he violently resisted arrest ultimately resulting in a foot-chase across the parking lot at the Fred’s Discount Store, 714 Pecan Ave., on the evening of March 29.

The man, Jerry Wayne Smith, of 252 Martin Luther King Drive, was arrested and charged with resisting arrest, disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace and assault on a law enforcement officer, said. Philadelphia Police Chief Grant Myers. 

Myers said the police department received a report of a man interfering with the operation of a business at 7:32 p.m. The caller said a man was outside demanding money from people coming and going.

When the first officer arrived on the scene, he identified the suspect and saw that he had a broom and a dustpan. 

The officer asked Smith multiple times to put the broom and dustpan down. 

“He raised his left arm up towards me with a broom in his hand so I took Mr. Smith to the ground to detain him and put handcuffs on him,” the arresting officer Jolly wrote. 

The officer at that time radioed for backup and continued to struggle with Smith. He was forced to take him to the ground again at the back of his patrol car as he attempted to handcuff the suspect and he lunged toward him.

As Jolly tried to detain him, Smith swung hitting the officer in the chest multiple times, and that’s when Jolly noticed a blue boxcutter in the suspect’s hand with the blade sticking out.

The box cutter struck Jolly’s body armor multiple times, but he was unharmed, Myers said.

Jolly ordered the suspect multiple time to drop the boxcutter and Smith refused, so the Jolly used his Taser numerous times as the suspect continued to resist arrest. 

Jolly managed to kick the knife out of Smith’s left hand and it slid across the pavement, the incident report says. 

Smith stood up and started to run away and the officer pursued him. He was ordered to stop multiple times. When he failed to comply Jolly took him to the ground again and that’s when backup arrived and they were able to apprehend Smith.

“We grabbed his arms and he was still resisting from us and we could not get the cuffs on,” Jolly wrote.

Smith was transported to Neshoba General hospital first and then booked in the county jail where he remains without bond.