Aldermen revisit log cabin bids
Wednesday, February 13, 2013 12:00 AM
A Jan. 15 order to reject all bids to reconstruct the historic log cabin at Northside Park was rescinded last week by the Mayor and Board of Aldermen without discussion.
Alderman Joe Tullos made the motion to rescind the vote at the board's last meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 5, which passed unanimously.
The bids are now under advisement by the board.
Aldermen rejected the bids initially, because they were more costly than anticipated, Mayor James A. Young had said.
The log cabin was destroyed in a 2011 tornado.
The low bid of $155,000 was submitted by Tyler Construction Group. The project would include an additional architectural fee of $12,400 for a total cost of $167,400.
The city received an $112,276 grant through the Mississippi Landmark Grant Program to go toward the project. That grant, however, would require a 20 percent match by the city.
In addition, the city received a $46,288.68 insurance settlement to help replace the log cabin after it was destroyed.
Mayor Young said last week that the insurance funds were utilized to repair fencing and lighting at the park which were also destroyed by the tornado.
He said on Monday, however, that the board was looking to find a better option at a better cost for the log cabin project.
"We are looking at what is the best deal we can get out of this to reduce our costs that we have to match," Young said.
He said the city had seen an increase in health and liability insurance in recent months.
"We have absorbed those increases. We have a deficit budget. Those were two items that we couldn't kick down the road so to speak. We had to deal with them."
Young said the board would address the log cabin project with the architect.
"We can't tamper with some things unless we totally rebid everything. We just want to make sure we get the best product for the best price," he said.
Other bids received on the project were $208,000 from D & E Construction Company, $257,195 from W. G. Yates & Sons Construction Co, and $329,800 from Perry Construction Co. Each of those bids would also require an additional 8 percent architectural fee.
In the wake of the tornado, park officials were able to salvage the cabin's stone fireplace, floor and several logs, which made up the original walls, for use on the new structure.
The state Department of Archives and History approved an architectural design for the new structure last year.
Luke & Kaye Architects of Meridian designed the new cabin, which would resemble the original structure which was destroyed during an April 2011 tornado.
The new design calls for the cabin to be rebuilt using the original design with the exception of a handicap accessible ramp added to the front.