The annual 'Trick or Treat on the Square' on Halloween has been canceled because of safety concerns for the children.

Main Street Director Tim Moore said that due to increased safety concerns for trick-or-treaters the Board of Directors of Main Street has decided to not hold the annual 'Trick or Treat' event.

"Although the event is well attended by the community, the safety of children who attend must come first," Moore said.

The decision to cancel the event stemmed from a discussion among the police department, the Main Street board and local businesses.

While there were no incidents last year with the large number of children participating, there were several close calls, Moore said.

However, businesses and other groups could host their own trick-or-treaters if they so desire, he said.

"I encourage residents to find out what our local churches and businesses have planned for Halloween," he said. "Our community holds multiple events, such as trunk-or-treats, that are safe for children to run around."

The Main Street Board is looking at a new location for the event in 2014, possibly at DeWeese Park, Moore said.

"We want to have it in one place as opposed to up and down the streets," he said.

Assistant Police Chief Julian Greer asked parents to take their children trick-or-treating early on Halloween.

For safety purposes, he said the trick-or-treating should end before 7:30 or 8 p.m. on Oct. 31.

Some safety tips to follow this Halloween: children should always be accompanied by a responsible adult, give children flashlights or glow sticks so that others can see them coming, when possible, children should walk in groups or in pairs and children should only go to homes that are well lit and should never go inside a stranger's home.