One suspect is dead and another is in custody following an officer-involved shooting in rural Neshoba County Wednesday afternoon in what Sheriff Tommy Waddell characterize as the closest call he’s had in 36 years of law enforcement.

Some details of the case are being withheld pending further investigation, but Waddell said Friday the incident began when he and several deputies responded to a call about an unidentified man with a gunshot wound to the neck.

According to Waddell, he and his deputies were advised by the man’s girlfriend, who drove him to the hospital, that the shooting had occurred in or near her home on County Road 301 around 3:30 p.m. She also told deputies she did not know and could not identify the shooter.

Waddell and his men traveled to the site of the shooting, where they began to gather evidence. During the course of that investigation, Waddell said, the woman assured deputies there was nobody else in the house and that a video camera in one of the bedrooms would not have recorded the incident.

When Waddell and his deputies entered the bedroom to examine the camera, they quickly realized someone was hiding on the floor between a bed and the wall, covered in pillows.

“After we realized it was a person and not knowing who he was or why he was there, he was ordered to show his hands,” Waddell said. “He failed to do that, and at that time, he raised up in our direction with a firearm in his hands in an attempt to fire on officers when he was fatally wounded by deputies.”

“The Lord was with every officer in that bedroom,” Waddell said. “Give all the credit to him.”

Waddell could not say whether the suspect actually fired a shot at officers, pending an ongoing probe by the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation, which is standard in all law enforcement-involved shootings.

Investigators later determined that the woman had relationships with both men and had provided false information to the Neshoba County deputies. She is being held pending further investigation, but has not yet been charged with a crime.

The initial gunshot victim was air-lifted to University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, where he remains in stable condition.