A man fatally wounded in an officer-involved shooting last week in Neshoba County has been identified.

The man, Michael Lewis McClure, was hiding behind a bed covered in pillows when he stood up and pointed a weapon at Neshoba County Sheriff’s deputies investigating a shooting at a woman’s residence between Union and Sebastopol last Wednesday afternoon, officials said. 

Neshoba County Sheriff Tommy Waddell characterize the incident as the closest call he’s had to possible death in 36 years of law enforcement.

The gunshot victim was Matthew Harris, who was airlifted to University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, where he remains in stable condition and is expected to make a full recovery.

Most details of the case are being withheld pending further investigation by the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation. 

McClure, 37, had a last known address of 537 Peach Road, Union.

Deputies were advised by Harris’ girlfriend, Lauren Ingram, who drove him to the hospital in Union, that the shooting had occurred in or near her home on County Road 301 around 3:30 p.m. She also told deputies she did not know and could not identify the shooter.

Waddell and his men traveled to the site of the shooting, where they began to gather evidence. 

During that investigation, Waddell said, the woman assured deputies there was nobody else in the house and that a video camera in one of the bedrooms would not have recorded the incident.

When Waddell and his deputies entered the bedroom to examine the camera, they quickly realized someone was hiding on the floor between a bed and the wall, covered in pillows.

“After we realized it was a person and not knowing who he was or why he was there, he was ordered to show his hands,” Waddell said. 

“He failed to do that, and at that time, he raised up in our direction with a firearm in his hands in an attempt to fire on officers when he was fatally wounded by deputies.”

“The Lord was with every officer in that bedroom,” Waddell said. “Give all the credit to him.”

Waddell could not say whether the suspect actually fired a shot at officers, pending an ongoing probe by the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation, which is standard in all law enforcement-involved shootings. 

Waddell referred all further questions about the investigation to MBI, which had not responded to a request for comment by press time.

Investigators determined that the woman had relationships with both men and had provided false information to deputies. 

Ingram was being held pending further investigation, but has not yet been charged with a crime, officials said.